This may rank as the simplest salad of all time. You can cook your own beans, and fry off fresh tuna, but the dish is just as good with canned beans and tinned tuna (see notes). The red onions and beans mark this dish out as solidly Tuscan. Try one of our other Tuscan bean salads here: insalata Toscana.
Insalata di tonno e fagioli
- 2 fresh tuna steaks (see notes)
- 1 can (400g) cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped.
Salt the onion, cover with cold water and leave for 10 mins to soften a little.
Season the tuna steaks, and fry them in a little olive oil until done.
Drain the the onion, flake the tuna and combine the salad ingredients. Drizzle with olive oil and season. Scatter the parsley over.
If using canned tuna, make sure it is in olive oil rather than brine.